Saturday, January 29, 2011

where is my dining room table?

Part I in a series on clutter......


As soon as I was old enough to walk, I realized how useful horizontal surfaces could be for storage of miscellaneous items. The floor was my first discovery. If you have a large toy box, it's very difficult to find the Barbie who has scheduled an appointment for a dramatic short haircut. However, if you dump the toys on the floor, they are all easily accessible. Taking the logical next step, I realized that putting the toys back is simply a waste of time if you plan to play with them again the next day. In case you suspect that I learned this behavior from my parents, you will be sorely mistaken. I grew up in a house that was always spotless and clutter free. I believe this behavior is not learned but possibly a genetic characteristic that skips a generation.


By the time I was in high school the increase in autonomy merely fueled my cluttering addiction. And, as long as I kept my door closed the clutter didn't affect the rest of the family. Ironically, my closet and drawers were the epitome of organization. Only the visible part of the room resembled the aftermath of a crime scene. A psychologist could probably have a field day with that.


For awhile, after I moved away from home, things got a bit better, but by the time my first son was born, the clutter returned with a vengeance. I had every new parent's built-in excuse of less time and more "stuff",  and yet, against all evidence to the contrary, I assured anyone who would listen that I was on the verge of getting my act together.


The one thing that comforts me is that I am not alone. People have confessed to me that they struggle with the same horizontal surface dilemma, but no one can come up with a solution. I may have to clean the dining room table off periodically for family dinners, but slowly things begin to migrate back there. Yesterday's mail, a roll of duct tape, the camera, sunglasses, an Ipod, you name it. The allure of that huge empty space is just too much to bear.


It's my conclusion that we're approaching the problem from the wrong perspective. Maybe we should embrace the chaos instead of resisting it. It's not our fault anyway. Isn't this an example of a natural phenomenon called entropy?


Copyright 2011 K.K.R.


"Good Intentions" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2Mz0G52Yg

No comments:

Post a Comment